Thursday, August 22, 2013

Why Homeschool? {Part Two}

As part of an ongoing series, I am sharing some reasons why my husband and I chose to homeschool our children.  I shared a couple of those reasons in last yesterday’s post and would like to share a couple more with you today.

*  "Being at home with my children and teaching them creates a greater bond between family members.”  My children are at home with me all day, pretty much every day.  I do not feel that I need to say much about this because we all know that the more time we are able to spend with other people, the greater the bond with those people.  My heart has been filled to overflowing many times when I see my children come to me with questions, with confusions they have, with just a random hug or kiss, or to say, “I love you,” out of the blue.  I only have my children for a short time, and they are only this age for a very short time.  I want to be able to form bonds with them that will last well beyond these years!



  • “My children do not have to deal with peer pressure, gangs, or cliques.”  Having been a student in public school myself, and then a teacher in the public school, I have seen more than my fair share of this.  I think we can all agree that these things have terrible effects on our children.  Peer pressure in and of itself is the cause of many young people beginning to drink, smoke, and do drugs.  Even before those things, children in younger grades are pressured to do something that they know that they should not by their “friends.”  Gangs are usually made up of people who meet up at school, decide that they don’t like one thing or another, and will do whatever necessary to stop it.  Cliques, while not as dangerous as gangs, are also very damaging to children of all ages.  I am sure that we all know how the cliques treat others who are not like them.  My children have not had to deal with any of this.  You may say, “Well, they will have to at some point.  Why not now?”  True.  They will have to deal with it someday.  Today is not the day, though.  It is not the time because it is not the right time.  They need to be trained at home on how to deal with things before they actually have to deal with them.  After all, you would not send a person into the mission field without having been trained and taught in the Word, would you?  My children are still “in training.”  Dealing with these things will come soon enough, and my job right now is to prepare them to respond in the right way.

  • As I continue to share our reasons for choosing homeschool, I am leading up to our number one reason.  Stay tuned.  We are almost to that number one reason!

    Here is the link to Part One of this series:
    Why Homeschool?  (Part One)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment